Transponder and Altimeter Checks

by Francis Griffiths

I have an N registered light aircraft that I fly in Europe, mainly in France and England.

Can I fy VFR outside of controlled airspace if the transponder and altimeter 24 month check is out of date?

ANSWER: If you were in the U.S. I would say yes. However, FAR 91 does not apply to operations outside the U.S.

FAR 91.411 - Altimeter system and altitude reporting equipment tests and inspections.

FAR 91.413 - ATC transponder tests and inspections.

So, you must adhere to the operational rules of the specific ICAO member country you are flying in. In this case England and France.

Return to Aircraft Inspection Questions.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.