Registration Number Change

by Mike OConnor
(Trenton, NJ, USA)

Can a US aircraft with a valid registration and a requested change of N number fly between the US and Canada while awaiting new registration for the new N number?

ANSWER: Yes, as long as the registration number on the side of the aircraft is the same as that on the current registration certificate and airworthiness certificate on board the aircraft.

As soon as you receive proof of the new registration you can place the new registration number on the aircraft. Then take a copy of your registration to your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) or find a DAR to replace your airworthiness certificate so it matches the new registration number.

Return to Aircraft Registration Questions.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.