Certification of Aircraft Components
Which FAR governs type certification of aircraft components?
ANSWER: FAR Part 21 - Certification Procedures for Products and Parts - is the regulation that governs the production of parts. There are six types of FAA approvals for a part to be eligible for installation on an "N" registered aircraft
1. A part produced under a Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA)
2. A part produced under a Type Certificate (TC)
3. A part produced under a Production Certificate (PC)
4. A part produced under a Technical Standard Order (TSO)
5. A part produced under an Approved Production Inspection System (APIS)
6. A part produced under an EASA Production Organization Approval from a country that the U.S. has a Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement (BASA) with Implementation Procedures for Airworthiness (IPA) in place for such parts.
Return to Aircraft Certification Questions.