FAR 21.197 - Special Flight Permits
(a) A special flight permit may be issued for an aircraft that may not currently meet applicable airworthiness requirements but is capable of safe flight, for the following purposes:
(1) Flying the aircraft to a base where repairs, alterations, or maintenance are to be performed, or to a point of storage.
(2) Delivering or exporting the aircraft.
(3) Production flight testing new production aircraft.
(4) Evacuating aircraft from areas of impending danger.
(5) Conducting customer demonstration flights in new production aircraft that have satisfactorily completed production flight tests.
(b) A special flight permit may also be issued to authorize the operation of an aircraft at a weight in excess of its maximum certificated takeoff weight for flight beyond the normal range over water, or over land areas where adequate landing facilities or appropriate fuel is not available. The excess weight that may be authorized under this paragraph is limited to the additional fuel, fuel-carrying facilities, and navigation equipment necessary for the flight.
(c) Upon application, as prescribed in §§91.1017 or 119.51 of this chapter, a special flight permit with a continuing authorization may be issued for aircraft that may not meet applicable airworthiness requirements, but are capable of safe flight for the purpose of flying aircraft to a base where maintenance or alterations are to be performed. The permit issued under this paragraph is an authorization, including conditions and limitations for flight, which is set forth in the certificate holder's operations specifications. The permit issued under this paragraph may be issued to—
(1) Certificate holders authorized to conduct operations under part 119 of this chapter, that have an approved program for continuing flight authorization; or
(2) Management specification holders authorized to conduct operations under part 91, subpart K of this chapter for those aircraft they operate and maintain under a continuous airworthiness maintenance program prescribed by §91.1411 of this chapter.
[Doc. No. 5085, 29 FR 14570, Oct. 24, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 21–21, 33 FR 6859, May 7, 1968; Amdt. 21–51, 45 FR 60170, Sept. 11, 1980; Amdt. 21–54, 46 FR 37878, July 23, 1981; Amdt. 21–79, 66 FR 21066, Apr. 27, 2001; Amdt. 21–84, 68 FR 54559, Sept. 17, 2003; Amdt. 21–87, 71 FR 536, Jan. 4, 2006; Amdt. 21–92, 74 FR 53389, Oct. 16, 2009]
Back to FAR Part 21 Main Page